Procedure to be Used in the Event of a Diving Accident
Step 1 - Call a DAN-Supported Diving Emergency Hotline
The best hotline number to call depends on where the diver is and their language requirements. The preferred number in the Asia-Pacific Region is the DAN Diving Emergency Service (DES) Hotline, as long as the diver, or someone with the diver, can speak English.
In addition to the DAN Asia-Pacific supported hotlines, the other DAN Branches can be contacted, if you are within their region.
It's important to provide the doctor/medic with your DAN Membership details if available, or at least state that you are a DAN AP Member. It is also important to have a call back number ready to give to the operator.
Purpose of This Call?
To obtain rapid medical advice from a doctor/medic trained in diving medicine; and advise the immediate course of action.
What to Know When Calling an Emergency Medical Hotline
- The Hotlines are generally not toll-free (except for the DES/DAN line within Australia & NZ, and the Chinese language hotline from within China).
- The caller should try to ensure that he/she has ample money or a phone card with sufficient credit for the call.
- If no money is available, or if there is difficulty in accessing the diving emergency line, a Member can make a collect call to TravelAssist (+1 919-684 9111 ) who will take the details and may be able to connect the caller to the diving hotline.
- If the other options are not accessible, the Member can contact the DAN Asia-Pacific Office on +61-3-9886 9166 (Business Hours) or +61-3-8508 9958 (After Hours, collect if necessary).
- Always have a Call Back Number ready to provide the operator just in case the call drop-outs or is disconnected.
DAN 24-Hour Diving Emergency Hotline Numbers
The DAN Diving Emergency Service (DES) Australia Hotline
(toll free within Australia – English Only)
|DAN China Hotline||400-120-0253 (Within China Only / Toll Free)|
|DAN America||+1-919-684 9111 (collect)|
|DAN Europe||+39-06-4211 8685|
|DAN Southern Africa||
0800 020 111 (internal)
Other Dive Medical & Dive Emergency Numbers:
|DES New Zealand||0800-4DES 111 (within New Zealand – English Only)|
|Korean Hotline||055-549-0912 (Within Korea & Korean-language only)|